CALL Teaching Instructions for
“Planning a Trip to San Francisco”
Language Objective: Using comparisons (er, more), using “if” + “can”
Functional Objective: planning a trip, making decisions,
Activity 1- Warm-up
Activity 2 – Choosing a Hotel
As a group view hotel web information and answer the questions.
1) Begin by clicking on:
Next choose a hotel and ask the students:
- How far is it from the city center?
- How many “stars” does it have?
2) Click on the “more info” link. Ask the students:
- How much does it cost per night?
- What else does the hotel have?
- What do you think of this hotel?
3) Comparisons – Repeat the same procedure with another hotel. This time ask questions comparing the two hotels. (Encourage students to answer in complete sentences so they practice the structure of comparative sentences.)
- Which hotel is closer to the city center?
- Which hotel has a higher rating? (more stars, better rating)
- Which hotel is more expensive? (cheaper)
- Which hotel do you like more? Why?
4) Have students work in pairs or small groups to choose a in which they might like to stay. Monitor their interaction and encourage them to use comparatives in making a choice. Give them about 5 minutes to find a hotel.
Repeat the same procedure as in Activity one, but for this activity compare restaurants. Here is a web site with San Francisco’s restaurants:
Encourage students to use “If + present tense verb + can” sentence patterns in their negotiation process:
- If we eat in North Beach, we can have Italian food.
- If we stay at a cheaper hotel, we can have more money to eat at expensive restaurants.
- If we want fish for dinner, we can go to Fisherman’s Wharf.
If time permits have students work in pairs to negotiate what to do while they are in San Francisco. Monitor conversations to promote comparisons like:
Going to Fisherman’s Wharf will be more interesting than visiting the museum.
Riding a cable car will be more fun than taking a taxi.
Students can get ideas from the following two web sites:
Words to songs about San Francisco
Official Song site (“I left my heart in San Francisco”)
Everything about SF
San Francisco Web Cams
Great 1906 Earthquake
List of movies made in SF